Monday, October 5, 2009

Poem by Shel Silverstein

This comes from Where the Sidewalk Ends;

HAT

Teddy said it was a hat.
So I put it on.
Now Dad is saying,
"Where the heck's
the toliet plunger gone?"

I imagine this little child sticking a plunger to his head and using this as a hat. This to me is very funny to picture this. Also this would capture young children and get their imagination thinking about a toliet and what kid doesn't laugh when mention a toliet plunger. From passed experience with my own children this is great book to introduce children to poetry.

This auther is well known for his childrens books such as The Giving Tree, A Light In the Attic and Falling Up.

I never researched this author and assumed he was a woman. But now knowing a man wrote these books explains a lot. Reading this book with young boys helps capture their attention and little boys are very silly so they love to listen to all the silly poems. The great thing is your exposing them to ryhming and poetry and they don't realize how fun it can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment